Root canal treatment is a common dental surgery that can greatly improve your oral health. In this blog, our dentists at Sanders Family Dental will explain all you need to know about root canals.
What Is A Root Canal Treatment?
Your Lombard dentist will use multiple dental treatments to remove the diseased tissues from the root canal. After that, dental-grade material is used to replace the tissues. Root canal therapy is an excellent way to get rid of bacterial infections and keep them from spreading.
What Are The Steps Of A Root Canal Procedure?
The root canal procedure involves a few simple steps. They are:
- At first, you need to consult your Lombard dentist who will take an X-ray of the affected tooth. It helps to figure out if the tooth is infected and requires a root canal treatment.
- The affected area is then numbed with the help of anesthesia to not feel pain during the procedure.
- A rubber dam is used to isolate the affected tooth from the surrounding environment and saliva.
- A hole is drilled into the affected tooth with the help of a dental bur that lets one access the pulp cavity.
- The next step is to remove the dead or the infected pulp, nerve, and tissues. The pulp cavity is then cleaned properly.
- The pulp cavity is then filled with an inert rubber-like dental material referred to as gutta-percha, after cleaning and shaping it. You need to know that Gutta-percha is safe and compatible with your mouth.
- The final step is restoring the tooth crown with the help of a permanent or temporary filling.
The root canal process can be completed within a day (one day RCT). This can help to reduce the time required for this particular procedure. Though, your dentist in Lombard can recommend you to go for a two-day root canal treatment. Both the visits can be spaced out by a week. A two-visit root canal treatment is generally advisable for people experiencing severe tenderness, inflammation, or tremendous pain from the affected tooth during the time of the treatment. While undergoing the root canal procedure, you should be careful to observe proper and good aftercare for the newly treated tooth. Once the treatment is completed, it is advisable to avoid chewing with the newly treated weak tooth before your Lombard dentist places the dental crown or the permanent filling.
How Long Does A Root Canal Take?
The recent advancements in the field of dental technology have made it possible for root canal treatment to be done in a single visit by shortening the time needed for this process. The latest technology provides an efficient way to complete the root canal process in just a single visit which makes it a very popular choice in today’s time. Minor or simple root canal cases generally take about 30 minutes to 60 minutes of treatment. Although, a complex situation can need up to 90 minutes or even more. The progress of the root canal procedure depends on a few factors i.e the ability of the patient to sit with his/her mouth open, the anatomy or shape of the roots and tooth. Root canal treatment is safe and should not be the reason for any sort of fear or anxiety among patients.
We hope this blog has provided all the relevant information on root canals. Get in touch with us at Sanders Family Dental if you are interested in root canal procedures in Lombard, IL.