Now, the circumstances around the world have made keeping great personal hygiene very necessary. As you are aware, non-emergency dental treatments are being postponed across the country. Besides personal hygiene, good dental care at home is also important. During this quarantine, here are some tips you should adopt for your dental health and make them a lifelong habit.
How can I maintain my oral health without seeing a dentist?
As many people work from home and are adapted to new routines, it might be easy to incorporate some good dental habits into it. We could help you out with the following tips, but first, make sure you wash your hands before and after any routine brushing or flossing.
Here’s how you can take good care of your oral health at home:
- Brush your teeth with toothpaste formulated with fluoride at least twice a day.
- Floss once a day, as it helps remove plaque and bacteria lodged between your teeth.
- Rinse your mouth at least once a day, using mouthwash.
- Consume a balanced diet and cut down on sweets like cake and cookies that are sticky and sugary.
- Reduce snacking, as this can lead to cavities.
- Reduce the intake of sugar drinks such as soda or juices, as it may damage your teeth ‘s surfaces.
- Drink plenty of water to encourage the production of saliva which reduces cavity risk.
- Stay away from smoking. It decreases blood flow to your mouth, allowing the bacteria to proliferate easily.
- Never share a toothbrush, no matter how attached you are to the ones you’re with. You can transmit viruses and blood-borne diseases to other people through this kind of sharing or you might get one.
- Ensure that the head of your toothbrush is never in contact with that of another.
- Change your toothbrush often, as it helps prevent bacteria from spreading. Changing it at least every three months and when the bristles get corroded is recommended.
When I have a dental emergency, what should I do?
We completely understand that not every dental issue can be tackled at home. A dental emergency, such as a toothache or oral injury can happen anytime, anywhere. In case you face such a situation, consider seeking help from the best emergency dentist in Lombard IL near you.