Lots of people are trying to find the best ways to floss their teeth. You don’t need to be one of those! However, even if you are in a daily brushing routine, flossing can still be a difficult habit to maintain. Here are a few quick tips to help you get your flossing right.
Why do you need to floss
Flossing is one of the easiest ways to remove plaque in between the teeth. This is important because your toothbrush is unable to reach everywhere it has to.
For thorough cleaning, we can not always visit the dentist regularly, but with good flossing, we don’t have to. Start brushing twice a day, and floss for good dental hygiene at least once, daily.
Challenges you may face while flossing
Here are some of the most common reasons people are struggling with flossing:
- Contracting the cheeks during flossing may make it difficult to get the fingers into the mouth
- Bleeding gums from underlying dental issues
- Pain due to lack of proper flossing technique
How to floss properly
For proper flossing technique, here are the steps you want to follow:
- Start with 18 inches of floss. Wind it around the middle finger leaving roughly one inch to work with.
- Hold the floss between your index fingers and thumb tight.
- Gently slide it between your teeth in motion up and down.
- Curve the floss around the base of every single tooth. Go under the gum line.
- Use a fresh portion of floss when flossing a tooth.
- Using the back and forth motion to gently push the floss out while extracting the floss.
Choosing the right floss
If you’re uncertain about which floss you should buy, here are a few tips. Two main types of floss are available:
- Nylon floss (multifilament)
- PTFE floss (monofilament)
Nylon floss can be waxed and unwaxed plus comes in a range of flavors. It is composed of various strands. It also tears or shreds between teeth because of this.
PTFE floss is more expensive but can quickly slip between your teeth. It can practically shred.
Anyone of these flosses is good for debris and plaque cleaning, it’s all a matter of choice.
Apart from brushing and flossing, a healthy mouth is best maintained by visiting the dentist at least twice a year. So, if you’re looking for a dentist near you, Sanders Family Dental is the place! We are also open now for any sort of dental emergency in Lombard IL.